Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Doing it all for the glory of God

~ Guest Writer ~

By rjw

Recently, I offered to submit a contribution for an upcoming issue of Generations. I had in mind an accounting of a recent and difficult trial in my life that the Lord is still bringing me through. For several weeks I toiled to produce something, but I could not put down in few enough words the accounting of what occurred in my life. The text of my story did not allow enough space to include God and what He had done for me. For days I pondered over what I wanted to say and how to say it. The truth was, I had writers block and I could not write what I wanted to contribute.

I had made a commitment to get my contribution to Generations submitted within a certain time frame. I wrote, deleted some, then rewrote a little more without any result. Frustrated, I asked God a simple Question; “What am I doing wrong? What would you have me say, Lord?”

His answer came to me very quietly. Quiet as it was, His answer was very clear. I was focusing too much on the details of my recent trials. Too much print was being devoted to my problems, while too little space was devoted to the Lord. Additionally, I realized that I was glorifying myself through how I had suffered through my problems, while I failed to humble myself in giving God all the glory for what He was doing to handle everything.

1 Corinthians 10:31 reminds us: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

What I have learned, what God has taught me, what I believe Him to be inspiring me to say is the following; Whether I am writing a submission for Generations, or in all else that I set out do in my life, I am to do it to glorify Him.

I must learn to kick my pride to the curb through humbling myself. I understand that whatever I do, all of my actions and thoughts are to be done to Glorify God. This is such a simple lesson, yet it is also such a gargantuan task for me as just a mere man.

In my business dealings, personal relationships and in all of my deeds and thoughts, I must do all things in such a fashion that glorifies God, not me. The task before me is monumental which I will undoubtedly foul up from time to time. I know that over time, placing God before me in all that I set out to do will become easier as it becomes habit.

Thank God I have the saving grace of Jesus, that when I fail, He is forgiving and loving enough to let me have another chance in honoring and glorifying Him in all that I do.

No comments: