Friday, January 30, 2009

Your Language Will Determine Your Destiny

By John Kubicek

"Your words become your thoughts.
Your thoughts become your behavior.
Your behavior becomes your character.
Your character becomes your destiny.
"

The above came from the website, NoCussing.com. In the last week, I wrote two commentaries about this at johnny2k Is Home. That all came about when watching the news last Saturday (1/24/09), and was able to record what I put up on my youtube channel:


I then followed that up several days later with my diatribe about Glenn Beck using coarse language on his new show at Fox News and his "Swear Jar"..

However, today, I saw something on youtube.com like I've never seen before. While it was disgusting and vile, the youtube video that I saw seemed to be telling me about the fruit on the tree, and will probably show the truth of the title of this piece, "Your Language Will Determine Your Destiny." Somehow or another, somebody was able to collect a few "out-takes" (?) from various news sources. The people on this video, "journalists," better hope that their mothers never, ever watch this video that I will only give you a link to (see below). Sailors would blush! Should you go to the following link, you will quickly understand why I didn't embed the video here:

WARNING: The following video, should you click on the link, contains extreme obscenities. It is only provided here, that should you want to know more about people you may have respected at one time, you will see the bad fruit on the tree:

THIS IS WHY OUR COUNTRY CAN'T WAKE UP OR GET THE TRUTH!!!

I actually grew up at a time when cussing and obscenities were looked down at. The people that used that kind of language were not considered to be very decent people. Well, at least, that was the way I was taught. But then, I hit the upper grades in elementary school: Recess and trash talk. Then, when I started my high school job at a gas station, and summertime jobs while in college, foul language was all I ever heard. I suspect it was the same for everyone else growing up in the 60's and 70's. It was way more than many of us were used to. And then, the stint in the military? Forget about it. There weren't too many words uttered that didn't start with an "F". The sad thing, it has only gotten worse through my life, from the 80's until now.

It seems that people are no longer ashamed to say these words, let alone embarrased to hear them. People that use that language now assume it doesn't bother anyone. There is no more remorse; on their part, anyway. And what are we to do?

First of all, I can tell you something that I recommend doing. And I have found that it is difficult to do, even with a very conscious effort; don't be one that uses that language in any situation - even when you are alone. Yes, that's not easy, especially for those that commute to work... It's very difficult sometimes to hold back! However, I have personally challenged myself to make an effort to not even THINK in those words.... no matter how mad I am at people that change lanes without signalling.... Okay, it is just called doing what we can to CONTROL anger, to control our speech by controlling our thoughts. No easy task, in these days. Just think... continue to think: SELF-CONTROL. And seriously, "Your Language Will Determine Your Destiny".

RELATED STORIES:
The Audacity of a Young American Hero
Glenn Beck's "The Swear Jar"

1 comment:

Cork Hutson said...

John,

Great post. Like you, I NEVER use language that even sounds like it is the wrong type. I just spent the last two years on mobilization with the Navy. I was with members of all the services both in Iraq and the states. I must say that the "f" word was the most overused adjective I have ever heard. I don't think some of the ones I was with even knew any other adjectives. I don't remember it being that bas when I an active duty sailor years ago, but maybe it was. It's sad. One consolation, though is that my "lack" of filthy speech actually drew attention from my coworkers. They couldn't believe that someone could actually carry on a conversation without using that type of language. When in Iraq, one person even made the statement that they would be getting my to swear and cuss before I left. They were disappointed.

Thanks for the article.