Friday, November 21, 2008

Kathleen Parker's Low Opinion of Evangelical Christians

By John Kubicek

Thanks to David Limbaugh, in his column, "Evangelicals: A drag on the GOP?", he discusses the way that Kathleen Parker blames Evangelical Christians for the demise of the Republican Party. But this article isn't about politics. It is about what she wrote in a very scathing column, "Heresies and Other Truths," and I am going to have to take her behind the woodshed on this one.

Why do I get the feeling that Kathleen Parker has a very low opinion of Evangelical Christians? Hasn't she ever read the Bible? Did she skip over the New Testament? Forget to read the book of Acts?

I don't really appreciate being called a low-brow Christian, but that isn't what upsets me. Oh, I know, being "upset" isn't the word I should use. Well, let me just say that I'm not a "sit down and shut up" Christian... I'll be happy to turn my other cheek as soon as I express the displeasure I may have, in the most loving way that I can, of course. And I do try to avoid "outbursts," but some times I just need to "vent."

Here are the many insults that Kathleen Parker threw at Evangelical Christians:

"The evangelical, right-wing, oogedy-boogedy branch of the GOP is what ails the erstwhile conservative party and will continue to afflict and marginalize its constituents if reckoning doesn't soon cometh."

"Three little letters, great big problem: G-O-D."

"Armband religion is killing the Republican Party."

"To be more specific, the evangelical, right-wing, oogedy-boogedy branch of the GOP"

"as it has become increasingly beholden to an element that used to be relegated to wooden crates on street corners."

"Which is to say, the GOP has surrendered its high ground to its lowest brows."

"the party has alienated its non-base constituents, including other people of faith (those who prefer a more private approach to worship),"

"shifting demographics suggest that the Republican Party -- and conservatism with it -- eventually will die out unless religion is returned to the privacy of one's heart where it belongs."

"Anyone watching the two conventions last summer can't have missed the stark differences: One party was brimming with energy, youth and diversity; the other felt like an annual Depends sales meeting."

"Even Sarah Palin has blamed Bush policies for the GOP loss. She's not entirely wrong, but she's also part of the problem."

"Let's do pray that God shows Alaska's governor the door. "

"And the nonreligious won't get religion through external conversion. It doesn't work that way."

I don't apologize for my rant about Kathleen's article this morning. That was some pretty dark stuff that she was saying about people that she could, and should, consider as Brothers and Sisters in the Lord. I mean, could she have said any more that trashes those of us that consider ourselves as Evangelical?

I don't apologize for my beliefs. I actually feel very sorry for Ms. Kathleen Parker. In her in-your-face diatribe, she was pretty blatant about her disgust for Evangelism. Worse yet, she may lead many of us to think that "she's a fence-sitting Christian." So, Kathleen, are you afraid to admit you are a Christian? Is that it?

Hey, Evangelical Christians aren't out there wielding swords, ready to chop off the heads of the Infidels. We just want people to understand the message that Jesus gives us, that He died for our sins, and gives us hope of an Eternal Life with God. I am sorry that she didn't learn the main lessons that Jesus taught us, and that was to love our Brothers and Sisters in the Lord. Maybe she needs to go to a Bible study class or two. I'm just saying....

Ms. Parker, I recommend that you check out Our Forty Days of Purpose!, where I wrote about each chapter of Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life." Or, just go read that book. I was just trying to make it easier for you.

Now, in my final words for this writing, I need to explain a few things. At first, I was going to post this in one of my other blogs, the one called JOHNNY2K IS HOME, where I write mostly about politics. After all, Kathleen Parker's column was about how the Evangelical Christians are chasing away many of the potential base of the Republican Party, and it supposedly lead to Obama's victory (if he can find his birth certificate - but I won't go there right now...) in the election on November 4. But I changed my mind. I came to the conclusion that Ms Parker's disparaging comments about Evangelical Christians were much more about her distaste for our "religion" than it was with politics.

This blog was surely a better venue to deal with something that is dangerously permeating through American culture. You see, there are many people that really do want to silence Christians. There are the attacks on the First Amendment, those that use the erroneous phrase that isn't mentioned in the Constitution, anywhere: "Separation of Church and State." You know the folks, those that want to replace "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays."

Lastly, I must thank David Limbaugh for bringing Kathleen Parker's column to my attention. Oh, and also for handling the political aspects of what she wrote and how wrong she was.

And then there is somebody else that also deserves my great appreciation. I had started on this post very early Friday morning after I read David's column. I was in the process of writng this when the Glenn Beck show came on the radio Friday (21 NOV) morning. And you'd never believe what Glenn spoke about, I think right at the beginning of the show: Kathleen Parker's column. And it was right in line with what I had already written and had been thinking about writing. Whoa! Believe me, it was very inspirational, not just for this writing, but in my life in general. Thank you, Glenn! By the way, a side note. I need to add that Glenn Beck said to "pray for our leaders," as he was closing the show. Believe me, I am.

Editors note: I should mention that I had actually posted this story to this blog yesterday morning, but after reading it this morning, I decided it needed vast revisions. I hope I have been able to achieve that enhancement to the best of my abilities today.

No comments: